Good News and Bad News
The good news is that the day is almost over and the kids are both in bed. More good news is that Emily is fine and will heal and her nose didn't have to be set. YEAH!!!
Bad news.....well we started the day at the ENT who didn't even look at the xrays that had been taken. He looked at Emily and said...."wow, you really did a number on yourself." He was more concerned about the swelling under her eye so he sent us for a STAT Cat-Scan. About 90 minutes later we were back in the ENTs office. The results. Two fractures of her nose that aren't separated. That's good....they should just heal over time and her nose won't be crooked...we hope. No need to set it. He went on to explain that she has a fracture on lower eye socket and she needed to go to an ophthalmologist. Okay....I know one LOL, we just may become good friends if we meet one more time this month. I leave the office, call the pediatrician since we can't breathe without a referral to do so. I call the ophthalmologist to see if he can squeeze her in for an appointment today. I get a 3:00 appointment, head back to the pediatrician for the referral and then drive almost an hour to the eye doctor. About 3 hours later (we had to wait, they did a very thorough exam, they dilated her eyes, etc). We were told we could leave. Basically, they worry that the muscle of the eye may get caught in the fracture. At this point it isn't, which is great. I have to keep a close eye on her and if I notice the eye pulling or her squinting, seeing double, etc. I have to bring her in right away.
Okay, the clincher is this (I am trying to be the responsible mom and not be pissed since I drastically cut my hours this summer to do fun things with the girls like go in the pool, go to the beach, take day trips to the water park...etc, etc, etc.) she cannot get her FACE WET OR GO UNDER WATER FOR EIGHT WEEKS. Let me just say that Alyssa's first week that she was permitted to do some of these things was THIS WEEK!!! She also cannot blow her nose since that can cause an infection in the eye. That is the primary concern right now.
Okay, I am done being mad at my 5 year old for a while since she did what most kids do given the chance...jumped off of the bed. Even though we are constantly telling her not to jump. I feel AWFUL for my Mom who feels terribly guilty. The fault is not hers at all. Emily could have gotten hurt just as easily had I been home. I let her go in her room by herself all of the time....she is 5! There is not an ounce of me that places the blame on my Mom. She is so wonderful to all of us. She is patient with the girls. I trust her 150% percent and know she would NEVER EVER allow them to do something unsafe. I know she watches them like a hawk. This was an accident. Accidents happen. If you are reading this Nana, go easy on yourself. It's not your fault.
It could have been so much worse. I am so thankful that she didn't injure her eye. Since she fell, I can't tell you how many people have told me "I let my kids jump on the bed all of the time." It figures, my Mom and I are always hollering (I mean redirecting them) to get off of the bed, don't stand on the couch, don't run, stop climbing, slow down....and my kid is the one who gets hurt. Isn't that always the way LOL. Let's all rest easy that today is almost over :-)
Next post will be upbeat and positive with no signs of injury or negativity.....promise ;-)



1 Comments:
At July 26, 2007 at 1:51:00 PM PDT ,
Unknown said...
Oh wow. Well... maybe now you will WANT to join us at the museum... LOL
I am sorry your summer of fun is turning into a summer on the run... I hope all the troubles are at an end! If kids only would do what we say.. since we know the potential... now you can say... "remember the time I said No Jumping on the bed!"
Hugs all around!
Missy & the Empress
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home