Our Journey to Alyssa

My incredible journey to my second beautiful girl from China. Follow my paperchase and ultimately our trip to China and back...... Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Inclusive to EVERYONE!!!!





I recently heard about a totally accessible playground in our area. It was built with a grant in conjunction with the township in which it resides. As a special educator, I think that it is so important for ALL children to be included in classrooms and community gatherings. While NY has begun to include ALL children and adapt educational programs for children with various special needs, it has a long way to go. Parents continue to have to fight for this right for their children. The part that is always lacking is how to include these kids into events and outings in their own communities. It is a little hard to go to your own community playground when you can't access any of the equipment in your wheelchair isn't it???? Well finally we have a wonderful playground where ALL of our kids can play together. I personally think that every town should have one of these....but one playground at a time, right!!!???

Here are some photographs of this playground. The ground is that soft turf so that if the kids fall, they won't get hurt. The slides are extra wide so if larger children or parents need to go down with the child, they can fit!!! I was almost in tears as I saw the children zipping around in their electric wheelchair's playing alongside their PEERS!!!! They were chasing each other and the grins on their faces were priceless. Not to mention the grins on the faces of their parents!!! THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, don't you think???

1 Comments:

  • At November 11, 2006 at 11:24:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is a NICE playground! How important it is for ALL kids to play and be kids... and for ALL the kids to be able to play together whatever their various play styles!

    Thanks for the pic... when I see you I hope I remember to ask where it is!

    You babies are soo precious.. and sweet! Nice to see you... running as always! LOL
    Mom to EFP

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home