Our Journey to Alyssa

My incredible journey to my second beautiful girl from China. Follow my paperchase and ultimately our trip to China and back...... Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

She has a BEAUTIFUL heart............

Yes, those were the words spoken about Alyssa's heart today. Today we had what turned out to be the final check by her cardiologist. He wished us a good life and sent us on our way....YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!! She was SOOOO good during all of the tests. This office staff is beyond awesome. They were so warm and patient. The tech put on Elmo's World while she did the Echocardiogram and the EKG. Aside from a couple of outbursts of tears, Alyssa sat still on my lap and watched Elmo as the tech did what she needed to do. For those of you who may not remember or know, when I was in China I was told that she had a heart defect called ASD. I was worried throughout the trip....I just wanted to get her home as my homestudy was approved for a healthy baby. The facitators in China were awesome and did everything that they needed to do to make sure that Alyssa was "cleared" during the medical exam in Guangzhou. I don't know what was said...I just know that my facilitator just told me not to say anything and to let her do the talking. After the doctor listened to her heart several times, they exchanged some words in Chinese and the doctor turned to me and said..."healthy girl." I scooped her out of his arms so fast...I just wanted out of that clinic before he changed his mind. As we left, my facilitator whispered to me, "take her to a specialist as soon as you get home." It turned out that she DID NOT have ASD, rather she had quite a severe heart murmur with some increased pressure in her heart. Her cardiologist felt is was as a result of having been born at a high altitude in China (Xiushan) and brought down to sea level (Chongqing) at such a young age. TODAY, he declared her heart perfect and normal. He said the murmur is gone and the pressure is normal....all indicators that his initial diagnosis was right on the money.

I was very relieved to get this good news. She is one tough little monkey girl and I know that as she gets stronger and more confident, she will overcome many more obstacles to come her way!!!!!

Next week she starts a centerbased Early Intervention program. I am happy that she is getting more intensive services, but sad that my baby is starting school at just 2 years old. She has come soooo far....I know that this is just the beginning!!!


HAVE A WONDERFUL NIGHT!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home